Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Godfather Part I & II or How 375 Minutes Slipped Through My Fingers

It's impossible to talk about critically acclaimed movies without mentioning The Godfather. It's referenced in nearly everything, including one of my favorite fluff movies of all time.

That being said my interest in seeing The Godfather has been nil for the first 25 years of my life. But my little movie project, tiramisu and promise of spaghetti and "meatballs" was enough to change my mind.

Plus it's just something you do. Everyone has to watch Schindler's List just like everyone has to watch The Godfather.

Part I (and Part II for that matter) tell the story of the Corleone family, a mafia family living in New York post World War II. Marlon Brando plays the patriarch "The Godfather" of the family, Vito. Al Pacino plays his son Michael who has just returned from the war and has no interest in his family's business. However his future has other plans for him and Michael finds himself involved in the family in a major way.

Part II is the long drawn out story of how Vito became "The Godfather" and how Michael is now taking his place. I wish I could tell you more, but honestly all my attention was spent trying to keep myself awake after eating carbs, carbs and more carbs.

Which brings me to the bottom line. I absolutely hated The Godfather Part II. I thought the story too dry, far too long and put me to sleep. Even if I hadn't gorged myself with pasta and garlic bread I think I still would have fallen asleep. Major fail part II, major fail. For now, I give you a 1 out of 5.

However Part I had it's charms and kept me interested, although I still think it was far too long. I don't think any move should be longer than 2.5 hours. Past that point my mind slips away. But Brando puts in a solid performance and Pacino is just downright bad ass. I give Part I a 3 out of 5.

Would I watch either again? I think I have to. The Godfather movies need to be watched more than once. I'm not even sure if I understood Part II at all and it's unfair to judge a movie when you can't follow the story.

Maybe in another 25 years I'll work up the energy to give them another try. 

Favorite Moments 
  • Uh, remind me to stay on Al Pacino's good side. Yikes!
  • Appolonia's days of the week.
  • When Part II ended. (Harsh, I know)
Boo Moments

No comments:

Post a Comment