Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Around the World in 80 Days or I'm Sure it Blew the Socks Off People In 1956

 Throughout my little movie project I've found I need to constantly remind myself that these movies won an award for a reason. I might find the story incredibly dull or the ending so infuriating I want to launch my TV out the window, but that doesn't matter. Of course I'll still tell you all the honest truth BUT I also need to appreciate the movie for what it was "at the time."

One such example is Around the World in 80 Days. I was a little weary when I received the movie from Netflix because it came on 2 discs. As I've mentioned before I really can't get behind movies that long, but I did my best to keep an open mind. I wish 175 minutes I could say it was worth it.

The story revolves an eccentric millionaire Phileas Fogg (played by David Niven) who decides to bet his friends he can travel around the world in 80 days. He bets his life fortune and leaves that day. Accompanying him is his jack of all trades valet, who was hired that very same day. His valet Passepartout (played by Cantinflas) is a total goof and is constantly on the hunt for the ladies.

Fogg is the opposite of Passepartout, the typical Englishman for that time, very serious and proper. And pretty one dimensional when it comes to character development. The two embark on a journey that takes them to Spain, Suez, India, Hong Kong, San Fransisco and several other stops along the way.

The movie takes place before planes were invented so travel options are somewhat limited for the men. They try their hand at ballooning, taking the train and hopping aboard several ships both on sea and land. There might have even been an elephant and an ostrich along the way.

The story in and of itself is pretty basic with no major plot development or ares of palpable suspense. I assume what the movie is known for is it's use of widescreen, the different types of shots utilized and the ability to transport viewers around the world. It is one of only a handful of movies shot in the Todd-AO format. Todd-AO competed with the Cinerama widescreen format, with its main appeal being it only required one camera versus three. Todd-AO fell out of favor after the sudden death of founder Mike Todd in 1958. Also Todd-AO films were shot in 70mm versus 35mm which is used today.

So while I could knock the movie for its lack of story I give it a 3 out of sheer appreciation for how it changed how movies looked and utilized really impressive camera shots. Usually when I watch older movies it's embarrassing how bad some of the shots look. But Around the World in 80 Days uses a lot of uncommon camera shots including widepan, traveling shots on front of trains and behind character shots while on bicycle or elephant. Visually impressive indeed.

Favorite Moments 
  • "Extraordinary. How does one take the temperature of toast?"
  • Oh Mr. Fogg, you're such a ladies man ::cough cough:: not.
  • Can I please take a ride on an elephant and ostrich? I wouldn't mind taking a trip in a dumb waiter either.  
Boo Moments 
  • TOO MUCH BULLFIGHTING!
  • I'm not sure the American Indians were fairly represented in this movie... 
  • Um, the ending. Seriously. That's it?  
Did You Know? 
  • This film used the most costumes of any film every made (74,685) 
  • The film crew and cast flew over 4,000,000 miles and all the shooting took place in 75 days
  • 8,522 animals were used during the film!

No comments:

Post a Comment